A new Identity

In the book The Awakening by Kate Chopin, one of the main themes is about finding a new identity. Throughout the chapters, the main character, Edna, focuses on this journey of self-discovery. She tries mnay new things that go against society’s expectations of a woman in that time. The theme of finding a new identity is very strong and apparent in the book. The whole premise of the book is based on Edna finding a new identity as a woman. But because society has yet to accept that women are independent Edna’s relationship with her husband is severely harmed. He thinks Edna had obtained a new identity beyond recognition. “‘You are burnt beyond recognition,’ he added, looking at his wife as one looks at a valuable piece of property which has suffered damage” (2 Chopin). Edna has found her place in life at the risk of her own relationships. Her new identity causes her husband to think that her identity has destroyed her. Yet he fails to realize that this new identity has rebirthed her to be a new person.

One of the things I think the author executed well was the development of Edna’s new identity. She didn’t jump into it, and make Edna have this epiphany about her independence. It was more gradual and you start to see little by little how Edna becomes more of her own own person and develops a personality. She starts to try new things, such as swimming, little by little which makes her character development more subtle. I like how the author does this because it takes you in the journey with Edna and how she explored new things slowly and surely without making super impulsive decisions like most characters in other books would. It adds a more realistic factor to the book which overall betters the plot and the theme of the book.

3 thoughts on “A new Identity

1. Hey Ameena!!
    This was a very thought provoking and empowering post. I thought that your analysis of Edna’s evolving relationship with her husband as her identity changes was really insightful.😄 After reading your blog, as well as your comment on my first post, I also noticed many similarities between “The Awakening” and “Little Women”. I completely agree with your opinions on the oppression of women and I also feel that the journeys that they embark on to break free of their barriers is both inspiring and uplighting.
    I’m glad that you enjoy Chopin’s wiritng style and her subtle development of Edna throughout the book. Alcott, the author of “Little Women” writes in a similar fashion and I believe that this type of character development truly does draw the reader into the lives of the characters and portrays all of the hardships that the women faced. I haven’t read “The Awakening” yet, but your post makes it sound like a really good read! Overall, I hope that you are enjoying your book as much as I am enjoying mine! Perhaps we can discuss them more sometime!

2. think you are playing with some intriguing ideas that will serve you well for your literary analysis. The characterization of Edna very well could be a focus for you. Edna is ahead of her 1800’s times, and Chopin’s portrayal of her is fascinating.She breaks rules of society, and forms her own identity separate from her husband’s.

3. Hi Ameena!1!1!
    The evolution of Edna that you described seems to signify not only how Edna slowly becomes more independent of her husband but how society itself in reality has gradually shifted to embrace feminine independence which is pretty EPIC 😎! But seriously, it seems like the relationship between Edna and her husband can be translated to so many other scenarios of “coming-to-age” type of scenarios. For example, in the book I’m reading, “Catch-22,” the main character exhibits a natural tendency to be distrustful of others during WWII. He gradually has to change his mindset over the course of the book to trust in his friends. Edna, from what I’ve read, has to try and change herself in the opposite way, where she trys to pry herself away from her husband rather than take his word for truth. Although the scenarios are reversed, in reality, both demonstrate how characters have to constantly change in oppressive environments. Overall though, great analysis Amino Acid 👍🏽👌🏽!I feel like I learned so much about your book without having read it and I’m interested in reading it!
    ~Cool guy, Satej ✌🏽